Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Dark Day on Locust Creek

A few days ago, we were back painting at the Locust Creek swimming hole and it was a misty, gloomy morning. Unlike our first session there, everything looked to be made of camouflage colors--and so did my painting! I took it back into the studio and used my reference photos to complete the painting, punching up the contrast and toning down the greens. Below is the finished product....

Swimming Hole at Locust Creek
oil
12" x 18"

There was nothing I could do to alter the basic composition which I judged to be only fair--a bit lop sided. But the more I've looked at it, the more I like it. Asymmetrical and interesting is now how I think of it! Below is my reference photo from that day. You can see that I eliminated the foliage in the foreground and added the rock instead.




1 comment:

  1. I really like it! It is great to see how you go about changing and enhancing the "original" scene to make it into a good painting!

    ReplyDelete