Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Exercises in Radial Symmetry

In order to make a series of coloring pages which reflect the kirigami papercuts I make, I've been fooling around with radial symmetry lately. For the past two weeks I've made eighteen circle borders like these:



I intended to add the centers later, perhaps making a mirror image, like I do in my combination cuts but after a couple of attempts, I've decided it is too difficult to make centers for my circle borders so I'm going to leave them as they are for now.  It is simpler to integrate the center into the whole drawing from the start.  So here is my first one. It has a thistle motif, although the leaves seem to have morphed into something else. As with my kirigami mandalas, it is sometimes difficult to tell which angle looks the best. I decided to place this one with the thistle on top but it also looks good with the wreath or leaves at the top.



No comments:

Post a Comment