Thursday, March 21, 2013

Joss Paper Explorations

For the past several weeks I've been exploring a new kind of medium, Chinese joss paper.  It is sold in large packets in most Chinatowns and used in ceremonies where it is burned to honor departed ancestors.  I first used it many years ago in mixed medium works and recently constructed a piece using the joss paper and tea bags:



When I went back to buy more of the paper I wasn't able to locate any of the same size and color, so decided to buy what I could find and do some investigating.   I bought several kinds, different shapes, sizes and colors:




It seems to be a good material for book making and I am enjoying exploring ways to tear and fold the paper.  Here are some examples of some of the work that is evolving:





I'm still working on some large tea bag pieces, but the joss paper work is giving me something else to focus on and I'm enjoying it!

2 comments:

  1. I've just bought some today and came across your blog. I'm going to try it with some kino cut printing.

    ReplyDelete