Saturday, August 14, 2010

Kirigami Keepsake Cards

Cynthia Emerlye: Every several months I spend a day or two making a batch of kirigami keepsake cards to sell on Etsy or at shows. They aren't really money makers for me but they are great little items for catching people's attention. Whenever people come to my Itty Bitty Art show, they tend to gravitate to the cards. Most people buy them for weddings and special occasions. They are something people keep for years and show others - so they are worth doing once in a while.


For the past two days I've been renewing my stash of kirigami cards with a dozen new cuttings. Here's a sample:
The card closes up to either a heart or cone shape. I hand stamp and hand guild the outside so it looks very formal. When opened, the cutwork pops out dimensionally. So fine.


I've made some custom stands to display these cards because they don't stand up on their own like a normal card.


A couple of times - back when I was happy to have anyone buy anything from me - I've had clients commission dozens of cards for a wedding. No more. This is hell in a little package. I call it "sweat shop kirigami." They are sweet to look at, though.

Well, back to some serious painting work.



No comments:

Post a Comment