Thursday, May 14, 2009

Cynthia Emerlye - an Introduction

Hello everyone!
As one of the artists in this group, I would like to introduce myself and tell you a wee bit about the kind of art I make. Like the other wonderful women here, I live in the Upper Connecticut Valley of Vermont, in North Pomfret, a small rural town near Woodstock. I claimed two small rooms of the upstairs of my charming 220 year old farmhouse as a studio where I paint, draw, and sew wearable art. For several decades I did my creating informally, in the background of mothering six children. Now that they are grown, my art is out in front, a daily enterprise. Let me show you samples of what I do:


Black & Whites: These are ink drawings of botanicals. My style is ornate and stylized (semi-realistic. ) I am drawn to fantasy-realism, as you will see. Nearly all my work has certain repeating motifs, one of which is a tangle of ribbons or cords which gather disparate elements together. My black and whites usually take three forms: a line drawing, a white on black, and an inverse created on the computer. I have created a line of greeting cards, borders, prints, and company logos in this medium. (Click here to see more Black & Whites.)


Color Illustrations
: For a long time I worked in colored pencil. But that medium is very hard on the hands, so I work predominatly in watercolor and acrylic now, sometimes in a pastel-watercolor blend if I want a particularly dreamy look. I would love to move to oil but the longer time involved is not well suited to illustration. This medium has produced a line of greeting cards, book illustrations, and some private commissions as well as individual paintings for sale. (Click here to see more illustration.)



Kirigami Papercuts
: This folk art is something I've done with my family for decades on a seasonal basis. Every year we host a "Snowflake Party" open house where many people come to cut paper snowflakes. A few years ago, after so many asked me to make them papercuts, I began laminating or framing them and offering some for sale. This is a seasonal occupation, mostly done in the winter months. (Click here to see more of my kirigami.)



Art to Wear
: I have been a life-long sewer and, as in all things, like to make elaborate, one-of-a-kind creations. My hats and jackets have been shown in small craft shops, art galleries, and at the annual DeCordova Museum wearable art show. This craft is also something I do seasonally, so what I produce in a year is limited. (Click here for more of my wearable art.)



Thanks for your interest! I look forward to contributing more general musings about art in future weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment