Friday, August 7, 2009

Fooling Around With Scratchboard


When I was with her last week, Judy Jensen (most creative person I know) showed me her gorgeous scratchboard illustrations for a new book she is creating and encouraged me to try this medium. I haven't used scratchboard since grade school and back then it was a feeble, flimsy medium. Ampersand and others make a beautiful surface, black ink over clay (I suspect several layers of sanded gesso would work) mounted on a solid board. It is fascinating to work with. I love it! Clayboard has enough depth to it that one can create an almost dimensional feel. The solid board makes it easy to work with as well. I'm experimenting with four different kinds of blades right now. So much fun to play around. The above is a two-movie amusement. This will be a wonderful addition to my Black & White repertoire.


Here is the detail of the inner part of my play board, a small sketch I did for a commission I am working on. Simple, I know, but elegant in person.


I am also working on a postcard to advertise my life coaching services* so I thought I might try putting it into a scratchboard border. Here's the top. Eventually this design will become my new promotional postcard. Below you see it in its original black and also inversed.



I was going to go with this black one but, when I posted it on Facebook along with its inverse below, everyone voted for the white one. One friend even said the black one looks like an ad for a haunted house, without the spiders! Oy!So I completely re-designed my promo card, using instead the black and white logo I created a few years ago. It looks much more elegant and professional.


I guess my scratchboard is too funky for this purpose right now. My florals should look good on it, though. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment